Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

April is Financial Literacy Month so What Are You Going to do About it?

By Katerina Taylor

March 17, 2011
http://www.smartkidzmatter.com/


I’m excited that Spring is fast approaching, and with its arrival is warm and sunny weather. I cannot be sure for everyone else, but as for me I can think of a few places I would love to be on the weekends when the weather feels amazing outside. So here is my warm weather agenda in a nutshell. I want to meet up with my friends and head straight to the mall for some major shopping. Sun dresses are my favorite Spring and Summer assembles so I buy plenty for my new season’s wardrobe. After the mall and maybe one “Orange Julius” pina colada smoothie later our next stop is food. I am not normally un- decisive about food, but beautiful weather brings about an urge to sit and enjoy a sweet tea on the patio. So it is a must that my friends and I find a place that has a patio to enjoy the sun. Once our patio dining has been decided we order whatever we want; even if it has tons of carbohydrates. It is the Spring season and we are celebrating. What a perfect day!

In my head the above Spring agenda is great. Who doesn’t love shopping and enjoying a great meal in the sun? However I am all too aware of another significant time in Spring, and that it is Financial Literacy month. Financial literacy Month is celebrated all over the world in the month of April. Families and students miles away in other cities, states, and countries are considering how to celebrate. But what does Financial Literacy Month mean, what does it stand for, and how should it be celebrated? Financial Literacy Month comes in with a new season and with a new season brings change. This great money occasion was created so that consumers and their families would take a more tactical approach in teaching and learning about money and personal financial matters. Financial Literacy Month was created to make us aware of our positive and negative spending behaviors. Helping us choose to do better when it comes to how we spend and use our monetary resources. The goal of Financial Literacy Month is that consumers begin saving their money, buy only what they need and what they plan for, and most importantly not overspending or wastefully spending.

This April during Financial Literacy Month instead of heading to the mall with friends ask your neighbor if you can walk their dog for a fee, start a neighborhood car washing business, or help your parents with a garage sale. Begin to discover ways you can save money and make money. Get your class together and write letters to your state legislator to add a financial literacy class in your schools. Go to your local library and enroll in a free money class. Whatever and however you choose to celebrate Financial Literacy Month remember to share what you have learned and always give something back to your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment